Whether you’re starting a new job, or have been an employee for some time, you probably enjoy making your workspace your own. You may want to stock your desk drawer with some supplies that you may need while at work, such as pens and Post-its or snacks. If someone were to discover these items, it would not affect your personal security. Other, more personal things, such as a bill you wanted to pay while on your lunch break or your prescription medication, are far more sensitive and need to be secured.
Which Personal Items To Leave At Home
Your first, and best option to protect your personal items is to avoid taking them to work. Anything that could potentially be used to compromise your personal security should ideally be kept at home if possible. These types of items would include:
- Bank or investment statements
- Your household bills
- Credit card or line of credit statements
- Prescriptions, medical reports or requisitions
- Pay stubs, review forms, memos, contracts or any other forms or documents relating to your employment terms, salary, benefits or your job performance
Ways To Keep Personal Items Safe In The Workplace
Since you can’t leave your keys or many times your prescriptions or certain documents at home, here are some methods of keeping your personal items safe at work:
- Ask your manager where you can store your personal items securely. Some employers offer access to a locker or a desk drawer with a key lock for this purpose.
- When leaving your work area for lunch, a break or a meeting, be sure to take your important items with you. Don’t ever step away and leave a bag or purse with your personal items visible so that someone sitting or walking near your work area can see them.
- Take inventory daily of the contents in your desk and in your purse or computer bag. This observant practice will alert you if something disappears, and you can make a supervisor aware in a much timelier manner instead of noticing it weeks down the road when you clean your desk/bag. It’s also a good idea to remove any items that are not necessary to keep a clean and simple work area.
Commercial Locksmith Services
ABCLocksmith’s offers commercial locksmith services such as file, desk and cabinet lock repair and rekeying, security system installation and upgrades and much more.
Call us today to find out how we can help keep your workplace secure.